Holiday Eating Tips
Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, New Years.., the Holiday season is upon us! Which means it's time for egg nog, big family dinners, office parties, lots of desert, and fancy cocktails. This makes for gaining a couple of extra pounds a little too easy. Consider these tips for fully enjoying the Holiday season without gaining weight.
- Don't go to dinner hungry. When we wait to eat we tend to eat faster and a lot more. Take care of your body, eat Breakfast and Lunch so your not starving by dinner
- Watch your portion sizes, especially with side dishes. Go for smaller portions, especially with high fat items.
- Always use a plate while eating, even if it's just a snack. Apparently you will eat less.
- Moderation is key, denying yourself food will only tempt you more. Have a slice a pie, or a cookie to keep yourself satisfied.
- Drink water rather than cocktails, beer or wine while eating. Water is calorie free and helps to digest your food - save the extra calories for dessert.
- Plan on NOT dieting after New Years. Anticipation of food restriction, tends to lead to massive over indulging - again, eat in moderation.
- Maintain Perspective. Overeating one day won't make or break your eating plan. If you over-indulge at a holiday meal, don't beat yourself up. Return to your usual eating plan the next day without guilt or despair.